Krish Vignarajah Announces Plan to Protect Maryland Environment
Democratic candidate for governor and former Michelle Obama Policy
Director introduces plan to protecting state resources from the Appalachian Mountains to the Eastern Shore
Tuesday, April 17, 2018—Gaithersburg, MD—Krish O’Mara Vignarajah, Democratic candidate for Maryland Governor, announced today a new plan for conserving and protecting natural resources in Maryland.
“Marylanders know we live in one of the most beautiful states in the country, and from the Appalachian Mountains to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Coast, I am committed to protecting our state’s most pristine natural resources,” Vignarajah said. “As Governor, protecting Maryland’s natural resources is one of my top priorities. My administration will lead the nation on climate action, save the Chesapeake Bay, fight the deadly pollution in our cities, and grow Maryland’s outdoor economy. I want all children, including my daughter, to be able to enjoy our state’s natural treasures, just as I did as a child growing up in Maryland.”
The plan, “Conserving Maryland’s Natural Resources: Krish’s Plan to Protect Our Environment,” focuses on the following five key areas:
- Leading the U.S. on Climate Change: Achieving 50% Clean Energy by 2026 and 100% by 2035; Creating 80,000 Clean Energy Jobs; Making Maryland More Resilient; Building a 21st Century Transportation System.
- Saving the Chesapeake Bay and its Tributaries: Investing in Natural
Systems; Implementing the Phosphorus Management Tool; Improving
Agricultural Practices; Reducing Pollution from Septic tanks and Seepage
pits; Addressing Upstream Threats.
- Securing Environmental Justice for Vulnerable Communities: Reducing Air Pollution; Guaranteeing Clean Water; Reducing Lead Poisoning and Other Toxic Pollution; Incorporating Climate Justice into Decision-Making; Increasing Recycling to Reduce Pollution and Create Jobs.
- Conserving Maryland’s Treasured Landscapes: Investing in historic Downtowns and Supporting Infill Redevelopment; Reforesting Maryland;
Elevating Local Voices in Consideration of Energy Projects; Conserving 50% of the Rural Land-base on the Eastern Shore; Reducing Impacts from Industrial Agricultural Facilities.
- Creating the Strongest Outdoor Economy on the East Coast: Investing in Recreational Access and Conservation; Marketing our Natural Resources and Heritage; Increasing Wildlife Populations.
The detailed plan will be available Wednesday at KrishforMaryland.com.
To learn more and support Krish Vignarajah’s and Lieutenant Governor Sharon
Blake’s campaign, visit www.krishformaryland.com. Connect with the campaign on
Twitter @KrishForMD and Facebook @KrishForMaryland.